Newsweek and The Daily Beast have released their third annual “Best Colleges for You” rankings. The 12 lists compile the top 25 schools in metrics that range from most affordable to most stressful. This year’s rankings also included the top fraternities and sororities.
One of the more difficult things to quantify is the affordability of a college education. Some economists argue that college should be looked at as a long-term investment instead of a per year cost. Following that line of thinking the Newsweek editorial board decided to base their affordability decision not on the up-front cost of tuition to attend a school, but on the potential earnings and average debt level of graduates.
The top schools in each category:
- Most Affordable: MIT
- Least Affordable: Sacred Heart University
- Most Rigorous: Columbia University in the City of New York
- Least Rigorous: University of Central Florida
- Most Stressful: Washington University in St. Louis
- Happiest: Stanford
- Most Liberal: Warren Wilson College
- Most Conservative: Ave Maria
- Most Beautiful: Pacific Union College
- Top Party School: West Virginia University
- Top Fraternity: Sigma Chi
- Top Sorority: Zeta Tau Alpha
Follow Alex Wukman on twitter@AlexWukmanCMN