3141 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
Highest Degree Level
Students interested in enrolling in Drexel University must complete an online application and submit all official transcripts, including those from secondary and post-secondary institutions. Hard copy and electronic transcripts can be sent from the previously attended institutions to Drexel University. Students can also send their transcripts directly to the school, but they must arrive in sealed, unopened envelopes issued by the school.
Drexel University Online’s admissions policies differ by area of study and level of degree program. Generally speaking, applicants to the bachelor’s degree programs must have a minimum of 24 college credits with a grade of C or better and a college grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or greater. Students applying to the university’s master’s degree program must have a four-year bachelor’s degree, submit all official transcripts, and have their GPA exceed a certain standard set by the program.
For example, the Master of Science in Computer Science requires students to have at least a 3.0 GPA in the last two years of their undergraduate work, and they must also submit two letters of recommendation, a resume, and a 500-word essay. Meanwhile, applicants to the online Master of Science in Communication must submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores if their undergraduate GPA is not at least a 3.0, two letters of recommendation, a resume, and a 1,500-word essay explaining their interest in the program.
The application requirements also differ for the university’s certificate programs. For example, the medical billing and program requires students to have at least a high school diploma. However, there’s no GPA requirement. But the online certificate in healthcare informatics requires students to have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, and they must send in a current resume and write a short essay about their interest in healthcare informatics.
Click here for a full list of Drexel University’s programs and their admissions requirements.
The Online Classroom
Drexel University was founded in 1891 and has been offering online degree programs since 1996. Now it offers more than 100 online degree and online certificate programs in a wide range of subjects, including business, psychology, nursing, engineering, and education. The university was the world’s first school of nursing, and it is the nation’s largest private medical college, according to the school’s website.
U.S. News & World Report ranked the school No. 88 of National Universities in its Best Colleges rankings, No. 20 in admissions selectivity and No. 5 in student services and technology for its online graduate education programs. It also was ranked second in student engagement and accreditation, sixth in faculty credentials and training, ninth in admissions selectivity, and second in student services and technology for its online graduate nursing program.
Students of Drexel University’s online program will be able to access their syllabus and course information through the university’s website. In this system, students can post comments on the class discussion board, email other students and their professor, watch videos, listen to audio recordings, and explore course content through power points and other readings. These courses are taught by Drexel University’s well-qualified faculty members, of which 90% hold doctoral degrees in their field.
The university’s online school won the 2010 Sloan-Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education, which recognizes an institution that that has an outstanding and comprehensive online curriculum. The Sloan-Consortium is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to integrating online education into the mainstream of higher education.
In keeping with Drexel University’s high standard of education, 90% of the institution’s professors hold doctoral degrees and are distinguished authorities in their fields. These instructors include members of the National Academies of Science and Engineering, as well as other leaders in professional and scientific societies. Whether at their main campus in Pennsylvania or online, Drexel University’s teachers seek to provide students with a valuable, rigorous, technology-infused education.
Why We Stand Out
- Drexel University has a more than 115-year history of academic excellence. It was the world’s first school of nursing and it has the nation’s largest private medical college. In its 2012 Best Colleges rankings, U.S. News and World Report rated Drexel University No. 88 in national universities and its online graduate nursing program placed ninth in admissions selectivity, sixth in faculty credentials and training, second in student engagement and accreditation, and second in student services and technology.
- Drexel University’s online degrees are as well-respected as the degrees earned at its campus in Philadelphia. The online programs have the same high academic standards, including admission criteria, faculty, exams, and curricula, as the on-campus courses. Students who successfully complete an online degree program are eligible to attend graduation with students who completed their studies on campus.
- The university has been accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1927. More than 10 of its academic programs, including nursing, clinical psychology, and law, hold specialized accreditation from discipline-specific accrediting agencies.
- The retention rate for full-time students is 83%, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
- Drexel University Online’s courses are taught by distinguished professors who are members of scientific and professional societies. More than 90% of the university’s faculty members hold doctoral degrees.
- Institutional and federal financial aid and scholarship programs are available for Drexel University Online’s students.
Drexel University Online’s students are eligible to receive financial aid through aid programs, grants, scholarships, and student loans. However, it’s a good idea to apply as early as possible for these programs because federal loan or grant program money may not be available for up to 10 weeks after you’ve completed the appropriate steps. This includes correctly filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for every academic year. Students who complete this form may be eligible for federal Pell grants and Stafford loans.
Drexel University also has scholarships available for students who qualify to receive aid. Scholarships are available for undergraduate and graduate students, medical students, and international students. Certain schools and colleges within Drexel University offer scholarship and fellowship programs as well. All online students are required to fill out an institutional financial aid application.
Online Schools in Pennsylvania
- Alvernia University
- Chatham University
- DeSales University
- Eastern University
- Gannon University
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Bachelor of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Academic Medicine
- Master of Science in Drug Discovery and Development
- Ph.D in Educational Leadership